Thursday, February 11, 2010

Teaching High School


I have officially been teaching on my own for 6 weeks or so. I have another four to go.

I just finished up our unit on mental and emotional health. It went well....but there is so much that I forgot to say. Based on some student evaluation of me that is a good thing. "You talk to much...and class get's boring." said two students.

I was wondering what they had in mind if I didn't do the talking? Perhaps they want to talk, but the two of them NEVER talk. They just make snide remarks about class to each other in Spanish. So, what to do? My vote, which is the one that has veto power, says: I am going to continue to keep talking!!! And flinging my screeching monkey.

I truly love teaching. It is refreshing to be with people who are, mostly, full of hope for the future, have excellent humor, and with whom I really love being around. I have learned so much from watching them and listening to their points of view. One of the evaluation sheets also said, "You don't show it, but you are extremely biased. I feel it when you talk." So I guess I get to be more cautious of how I am presenting material and remind them and myself that while this is one option, and my opinion is another option, there is also a third option and a fourth. They just get to choose their own option.

I have a student who loves, and I do mean LOVES, Taylor. He told me he wants to be Taylor's best friend. This comment was made after I told them about the water down the pants with the funnel story, and the smashing of the chips story, and the cold mashed potatoes between my toes story, and the water over the shower story, etc.

See what I mean? I get paid, well sort off (just not in money yet) to be entertained and experience life through a different set of eyes as my job!

All the lesson planning and all the late nights, dirty house, dirty laundry, cat poop and dog poop and the things in life that have lost their realative importance, are now beginning to pay off.

I am grateful for the opportunity and the place in life I am right now! Thank you Divine Oneness, Universe and all the people whom I truly love.



Namaste

1 comment:

  1. You are the kind of high school teacher who will make a difference in kids lives. I wish I had had a teacher like you.

    And about the talking too much...do you know what Phil says about talk show hosts? That they talk too much. Hello? TALK show! He doesn't care, they just talk more than he thinks they should. I guess they should stand around and point at things.

    ReplyDelete