Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Subing

Since I am working on becoming a teacher in secondary education I thought it would be a good idea to give myself some real life experience. So I applied to be a substitute teacher.

I got my first assignment, a High School in our area, and I was really excited, but a little nervous as well. The class was a special needs class and I wasn't sure what to expect.

I had a hard time finding a parking space and so I was a tad late getting to the office to get the key to the room. After the secretary explained how to get to the room I took off hunting for this room that had students standing outside waiting for me.

I had been warned that sometimes students take a liking to their teachers and to always conduct yourself in a professional manner. However, I didn't think they really were all that serious about the situation.

I found the class room and I as I was walking down the hall I heard, "Ooooh, la, la." And the first thing that went through my mind was, "Don't react to that." And "Seriously?".

I let them into the room and explain them who I am and begin passing out their assignment.

One young man, let's call him Juan, asked, "Are you married?" to which I replied yes. (Say this next part out loud with your best Hispanic accent) Juan then yelled across the room to his "oooh, la, la-ing" friend and says, "To bad for you Omar!"

Seriously?

1 comment: