Friday, January 8, 2010

My Boy's


I went to luch with Taylor today. He sent me a text and said, "Lunchies?" that is how I know he is very hungry.


He wanted to go to the Training table, but decided against it because it would raise his blood sugar too high then he would feel really awful. We decided on Magelby's Fresh. They have delicious food.

Earlier in the day he sent me a text and told me he didn't feel good. He never feels good when he eats bad food. I reminded him of that. I also reminded him that he may want to put more live/fresh food in his diet. I think he gave me the stink eye.

His idea of live and fresh differ significanly from mine. Live and fresh to me means something that has high nutrient density and that hasn't been cooked to death. His idea is if you pass by the salad bar with your slab of meat you bick up the nutients by being in their proximity.

Taylor got the fish and chips with a side of cole slaw. I got (according to Taylor) gross soup (black bean tortilla) and an icky salad (Magelby's house salad with raspberry vinegrette).

Isn't life grand?


Now to Austin. This picture was taken at Christmas. When we walked in he had a hola-hoop around his waist. I noticed another young man with a similar hoop. I asked Austin what was up with the hoop and he replied, "I am learning boundries." Isn't that fantastic? I love that concrete idea that is so simple and so profound at the same time. I am going to use that in my class.

I had an appointment yesterday with Austin and his therapist and his caseworker and his doctor. I have to say, despite all the stupid political hoops that must be jumped through for kids to get help, Wasatch Mental Health has the best staff I have ever encountered.

Keep in mind please that I haven't seen Austin for about three weeks or so. Also, I did not flat iron my hair before I went to see him and so it was only round brushed and a tad poofy. The first thing Austin said to me after he said "Hi." was "Do you need to go back home and comb your hair?" I laughed and he laughed.

While we were waiting to see the doctor his therapist made this disclaimer, "Margret is not your usual doctor. She is really good and I have a lot of respect for her."

The therapist was right. Margret is not a usual doctor. She is more of a comedian. She has books like, "Bunnie Suicide, and Ways to tell small kids lies." She also has a magazine that has things in it like a bacon wallet, a chicken chucker, bacon jelly-bean etc. It was right up my ally, and likely Taylors. I was laughing so hard my face hurt.

She had the most amazing way to make Austin feel at home and relax so he could be honest and then open up. The hysteria went on for a good 30 minutes or more and finally she was able to ease in to a not so easy line of questioning. I was amazed at how well she could read Austin and how loving and gentle she was.

Today I am still thinking about her. I am thankful that my son has people like her at his side to assist him in his recovery.

The time Austin has been gone from us has been hard. We all miss him, and he really misses home. He has not behaved well at the treatment center and last week he had 17 poor behavior marks. That means he gets to wear a white shirt and tie everywhere AND the hoola-hoop.

He set a goal this week, knowing that if he doesn't change his course in life he is going to end up exactly where he does not want to be. Being true to his word and following through on his new behavior goal, he has only had 3 poors this week! That is an all time record for him.

I love you Austin. I miss you and I send my love and light to you everyday. The angels and Divine Oneness are with you always.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Austin. As for Taylor, the essence of lettuce is not enough. Go eat a carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Austin, working to become a better person. He will do it too, I just know it. What a great doctor--inspired, even. The angels aligned everything just right, didn't they?

    You should invent a fresh food that look like and tastes like potato chips. Comes off the tree like that. Get right on it, will you? The sales from your own husband and your mother-in-law would make you rich.

    Magleby's fresh is not my favorite. Every time I go there they do something weirder than weird to my food. Last time it was gravy on my philly cheese steak sandwich. Gravy! They see me coming and yell into the back, "Here comes Lynne, get the wrird stuff out!"

    ReplyDelete